Sunday, February 27, 2011

White Whole Wheat Apricot Muffins.


One of the biggest side effects of losing weight for me is that now I will basically click the "x" in Firefox if I see a recipe with more than a stick of butter.  This recipe is one of those that make me realize you don't need a lot of butter to make baked goods taste really amazing.  In fact, these muffins taste buttery!  With only 4 tablespoons of butter!  They don't require any silly "health food" ingredients either - real eggs, butter, sugar and flour. There's definitely a time and place for rich coffee cakes and danishes on the brunch and breakfast table, but if you can get rich-tasting goodies without the calories and fat, why not?


I followed the original recipe as-is, only substituting white whole wheat flour for the whole wheat called for.  I loved the apricots here, but next time I'm going to try a mix of dried fruit - dates, cherries, raisins, cranberries, etc.  Have fun!

White Whole Wheat Apricot Muffins
Adapted from Cooking Light
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk (I used fat free)
1/4 cup (4 tablespoons, 1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup chopped dried apricots

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. and spray a muffin pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, zest, baking soda and salt and set aside.  In a smaller bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, butter, extract and egg.  Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry, stirring until almost mixed, then add in the dried apricots and stir just until they're combined.

Spoon the batter into the muffin cups and bake until lightly golden on top, 12-15 minutes.  Cool on a wire rack and store at room temperature, up to 3 days.

6 comments:

  1. Fantastico! Se ve delicioso!
    Saludos Da & Mer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm such a muffin person...and it's whole wheat...PERFECT! I don't like white muffins and these look amazing! Lovely to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dishes look yum … loved the presentation of the food ! good work
    you can view some of my dishes on http://kitchensojourn.blogspot.com ! i would be really happy if you follow it

    ReplyDelete
  4. These do look lovely. I too am trying more recipes with less butter. Many thanks. (I LOVE apricots)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really? Only 4 tablespoons of butter? How could I not give these a try. My hips say thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look amazing! And you managed to make them so healthy too! <3

    ReplyDelete