Friday, February 25, 2011

Nutella and Toasted Coconut Bread.


I know, I know.  World Nutella Day was back on February 5th!  But to be honest, I didn't have any in the pantry at the time and there was a snow storm that day if I remember correctly.  But now that I had some, I wanted to do something different with it.  The website has a lot of great recipes listed, but I'd say 95% of them are way too decadent for what I had in mind.  I found this recipe suited my needs perfectly.  I was nervous that the lack of butter would create a rubbery loaf, but the fat in the Nutella must have prevented that from happening because this was so good!  Not moist like a cake or brownie, but not dry either, perfect for breakfast.  If you'd like to make things over-the-top, do toast it and spread with butter, jam, or more Nutella, but I found it perfect on its own with coffee or tea.  I baked mine in mini loaf pans (since my family eats smaller loaves more quickly, then froze the others), but this also works in a regular 9x5" loaf pan.


Nutella and Toasted Coconut Bread
Adapted from ShowFood Chef
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coconut, toasted and cooled
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Nutella
1 cup skim milk
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and grease a 9x5" loaf pan, or 5 mini loaf pans and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and coconut together.  In a medium bowl, stir together the brown sugar, Nutella, milk, egg and vanilla extract.  Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until everything just comes together and there are no dry spots left.  Pour the batter into the prepared pan(s), and bake until the bread is dry on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  The smaller loaves take about 20 minutes, a larger one could take up to 55 minutes to an hour.

Let cool completely on a wire rack, then store airtight for up to 3 days. 

6 comments:

  1. Wow. I can't even wrap my head around that, it sounds so good. I wonder what would happen if I added a mushed up banana to the mix. I will have to experiment this weekend :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet a mashed ripe banana would be perfect in this! If you try it, let me know how it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids are nuts for nutella .. literally. 2 little monkeys that love their bananas and hazelnut spread so I am going to give your fantastic recipe a go .. with the mushy banana added for good measure. Thnx for sharing this :-)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm more nutella to go with this sounds delicious! I love nutella ANYThing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i don't have any coconut at home...would it work if i left the coconut out??

    this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it would work without coconut! Maybe try some toasted chopped nuts instead if you have any on hand :)

    ReplyDelete