Tuesday, February 22, 2011

About Me.


Hello!  My name is Beth Hyzy and I've loved to bake for as long as I can remember.  There aren't many things better in this world than the warm scent of cinnamon bread baking in the oven or the sight of chocolate cupcakes being frosted with big gobs of swirly, fluffy buttercream.

In the fall of 2004, I attended a 2-year culinary arts associate's degree program at Erie Community College and worked in restaurant kitchens as well as bakeries.  Food preparation in a professional setting can teach you a lot about the process of cooking and how it can be manipulated to your advantage as well as applied to every day home cooking and baking, which is ultimately what I find most rewarding.  Providing delicious food for the people I love is one of my favorite things in the whole world.  (My sister-in-law Rachel has a wheat allergy, which is why you'll see a few gluten free recipes here from time to time.)

In December 2009, I began the process of losing about 100 pounds.  It was one of the most difficult and life-changing things I've ever done, but it's nice to know that after all that, there's still room in everyone's diet for sweets and carbohydrates.  Everything in moderation is repeated so often, but it is absolutely true.  If you don't think you have the willpower to bake a batch of cookies without eating all of them, I find that people rarely say no to a few in a Ziploc bag or plastic container and it makes their day that much sweeter :)

Thank you for stopping by my little blog!  Any other questions, please feel free to e-mail me at elizabeth.hyzy@gmail.com or soundless.space@gmail.com.  I'd love to hear from you!