Monday, April 4, 2011

Gluten Free Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.


Today is my brother Andy's birthday!!!  We had a celebration for him over the weekend and he requested carrot cake again this year and I used the gluten free carrot cake recipe from last year, with a few minor changes as well as my go-to cream cheese frosting.  This is one recipe I feel like I have nailed down for good - I prefer this carrot cake over one with wheat flour any day and I urge you to try it this spring.  It would make a perfect dessert for Easter Sunday or any warm-weather occasion popping up on your calendar!

I took the recipe I found last year and decreased the amount of oil and sugar and I can honestly say neither was missed.  I also didn't add any coconut this year, just because I didn't have any on hand, but do feel free to add in 1 cup of it.  This amount of batter does make a bit much for 2 layers of cake, so you can make about 8 extra cupcakes with it, or just cut the recipe in half if you'd prefer.  But I promise you none of it will go to waste.  I love this cake and I hope any celiacs and non-celiacs out there will love it too!


Gluten Free Carrot Cake
2/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
4 large eggs
3 tablespoons water
1 1/2 cups cornstarch
1 1/3 cups potato starch
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 cup chopped, toasted walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
4 or 5 large carrots, grated

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. and grease 2 8" or 9" cake pans as well as a cupcake pan (or line with baking papers.)

In medium bowl, combine the oil, sugars, eggs and water.  In a larger bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, potato starch, baking soda and baking powder, spices, salt and xanthan gum until everything is well mixed.  Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients, adding in the walnuts, raisins and carrots and combine well.

Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 15 (cupcakes) minutes to 45 (cake layers) minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Let cool completely on wire racks before icing.


Go-to Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
Pinch of kosher salt
1 lb. confectioner's sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cream the butter, cream cheese and salt together in a mixing bowl until very well mixed.  Add the sugar and combine, stir in the vanilla extract, then increase the speed to medium-high and beat for a few minutes, until very light and fluffy. 

21 comments:

  1. How beautiful! I love the way you decorated it. Your brother is one lucky guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this looks amazing. you are so talented... i love your pictures and the cake looks just fabulous. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious cake and lovely shots! So much more elegant than I'm used to seeing carrot cake ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a beautiful job with this carrot cake, I can't wait to try your recipe, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gluten Free Carrot Cake and Go-to Cream Cheese Frosting are very delicious and the perfect dessert too! Try making Cashew Carrot Bites too, its yummy and small portion! Recipe could be found on http://www.fourgreensteps.com/community/recipes/dessertsagoodies/cashew-carrot-bites

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good recipes! Good website too Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you Michelle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an utterly lovely cake! Your brother must have been so pleased :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pictures you took are dreamy! your cake looks so pretty with the piped borders, slapped nuts and the floral raisins. But what i like most is the design ON the face of the cake, surrounding the raisins. Did you pipe that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. so happy I found you on TasteSpotting today. Cake looks incredible and wonderful photography.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all the lovely comments, everyone! :) I appreciate it so much.

    crustabakes: For the top design, I just used the same offset spatula that I iced the cake with and made "C"-shaped swoops in the frosting on top with the tip of the spatula! You can also use the back of a spoon to get a similar effect. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not even wheat-intolerant and I'm drooling over this delightful cake. It's gorgeous. Plus, one can never get enough cream cheese frosting. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Count me in as a HUGE carrot cake fan. Delicious! He is a lucky man. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is going to be bookmarked and made soon! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Knowing there are cakes like this out there, hopefully it makes life easier for people with Celiac Disease. Your cake looks professional.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made this yesterday and it was fabulous! The best ever. Thank you so much!
    Genevieve

    ReplyDelete
  17. The makers of your primary Power Rod technological innovation
    plus the new Bowflex Revolution have now applied their creativity inside the totally
    free bodyweight arena to come back up with a actually clever idea in the Bowflex SelectTech.
    Look into my webpage :: Price of dumbbells

    ReplyDelete
  18. Howdy this is somewhat of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
    I'm starting a blog soon but have no coding skills so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

    my web blog homepage

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sure it's good, but over 2 1/2 cups of starch! That's nasty to the blood sugar levels regardless of the amount of actual sugar included. Ask any diabetic about using fat (ie the 'reduced' oil) to help stabilize blood sugar levels, you're not doing yourself any favours by this. There are many healthier and still tasty carrot cake recipes out there. Try the cookbook 'Quinoa 365' for a fantastic recipe that uses quinoa flour, no starch and only 1 cup of sugar, and my non-gluten free friends couldn't tell the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  20. cornstarch is not gluten free

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was delicious! Carrot cake with ginger ice cream is my boyfriend's favorite dessert, so I made this for his birthday. It turned out great, just as expected, and was promptly devoured. Well done!

    ReplyDelete