Thursday, February 3, 2011

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies.


I won't admit to making these just so I could display them with an adorable new plate and mug my sister and mom gave me for my birthday but I won't admit to having a reason to make them, either :)  (Since it's February now, don't be surprised if every food picture I take has pink and hearts in the photo!) They're delicious little bites of vanilla-scented oatmeal dough and mini chocolate chips and they're even quite light.  I found this recipe from Cooking Light and although the original name is "chocolate-oatmeal hermits," I found they weren't nearly chocolatey enough (using chocolate first in the title to me implies a chocolate dough!) nor hermit-like (hermits have spices!) so I've renamed them to oatmeal chocolate chip cookies instead.


I loved these but next time I would add a teaspoon or so of cinnamon or a mixture of similar spices.  Perhaps then we could change the title to oatmeal chocolate chip hermit cookies? :) Refrigerating the dough isn't 100% necessary but I found the cookies I baked after refrigerating for a few hours were much more plump and tender so I highly recommend it!


Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Cooking Light
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large egg whites
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips

In a medium bowl, stir together the sugars, oil, extract and egg whites.  In a small bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.  Pour the dry ingredients over the egg white mixture and stir until just almost combined, then stir in the chocolate chips until everything is well mixed.

Refrigerate for an hour or up to 2 days, covered.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray.  Form small tablespoon-sized balls of dough and bake one sheet at a time until very light golden around the edges and tops of the cookies, 8-12 minutes.

Once cooled, store airtight for 5 days.

5 comments:

  1. How cute are these! I can see someone is definitely gearing up for upcoming V day :D
    I'm very curious to see how the lack of butter would affect the texture on these, I've never made cookies with veg. oil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cookies sound great and your photos are BEAUTIFUL! I love the pink! Happy Birthday(nice gifts) too:) BTW, Congrats on losing 90 lbs! Woo HOO for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for Valentine's Day! I don't care if it's a Hallmark holiday, I think it's a great fun-loving day :)

    Thanks Sue! Pink is absolutely my favorite color, as if anyone couldn't tell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You take the cutest pictures! They look like they belong in a magazine. I have a sweet treat linky on my blog every week called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link your lovely cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

  5. 20) I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. A 120Hz monitor, on the other hand, has obvious advantages for modern gaming platforms that animate at 100 fps or higher. A high refresh rate allows the screen to keep up with the fast-twitch inputs of players and translate them into super smooth on-screen actions. Read this article to learn about monitor refresh rate.

    ReplyDelete