Sunday, December 12, 2010

Ohhh the holidays...

This isn't so much a recipe post as it is a question - (related to this post by Confessions of a Cookbook Queen, I never get invited to Christmas parties either!) during the holidays, do people really "drop by unexpectedly" ?  I have always wondered this because it's not something that happens to me or my family at all, even around this time of the year.  It's so nice to read cookbooks and recipes and blogs for cookies, candies and treats and think about "friends and family dropping by" and having lots of goodies to offer them, with fresh pots of aromatic coffee, but how often does this actually happen to people?  In my experience it's difficult enough to find time to get my immediate family all together this time of year just for a few hours.

In any case, this year I've scaled back on the amount of Christmas cookies and desserts I'm making.  It always seems like cookies are the big thing for Christmas but every year I make them and I feel like I have to shove them on people in order for them to be out of my house by New Year's.  Maybe it's because my family is so used to having goodies around since the ones I sent to my boyfriend in North Carolina were promptly consumed within 4 days (a tin with 6 varieties no less!)

As Christmas approaches though, I'd like to be taking pictures and jotting down notes and recipes of the things I do end up making this year, what worked and what didn't.  I've already been perfecting a sugar cookie recipe that works best for me, and I'm looking forward to making notes of them here.

To conclude this post, happy holidays to everyone out there who comes across this blog, I hope you're finding time to enjoy it a little bit every day :)

2 comments:

  1. My friends don't really bake, just eat. And the one friend that does bake lives over an hour away. So no cookie parties for me either, you're not alone. Boo. I still bake them and give them out though because it's fun for me :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having fun is what really matters anyway! :) In life and especially around the holidays, otherwise we'd all go insane.

    ReplyDelete