Friday, December 31, 2010

Chocolate Cupcakes.


I don't have much to say about 2010, just lots to reflect on and think about.  It was an amazing and emotional year and if 2011 is as good as 2010 was, I think I'm going to explode.

I seem to talk about my love of cupcakes more than I actually make cupcakes or eat them.  I suppose this is mostly because I can't control myself when I'm around a little individual-sized cake with its own portion of frosting and adorable sprinkles.  But you know what?  Just hours from now is a new year and this actually does call for some indulgence, even from me, little miss self-control.  (I lost 90lbs. this year so I'm going to have my cupcake and eat it too.)

I hope everyone is able to indulge a little tonight and have an amazing start to 2011.  Next Saturday I'm flying back to North Carolina for 8 days and I can't wait.  If these cupcakes and a trip to see some of my favorite people aren't a great start to a new year, I truly don't know what is :)


Chocolate Cupcakes
Adapted from Eating Well
3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk, sour cream or yogurt
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup strong coffee, still warm (instant or otherwise, doesn't matter)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. F and line your cupcake tins with papers. (I got 36 mini cupcakes out of this batter, you should be able to get 12 regular sized cupcakes or 1 9-inch layer.)

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, white sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and soda and salt and whisk to make sure everything is well mixed.  In a smaller bowl, combine the buttermilk, brown sugar, egg, oil and vanilla extract.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and beat for 2 minutes.  (I did this by hand with a spatula, just make sure everything is very well combined.)  Stir in the coffee until you have a fairly liquid batter.  Divide the batter among the cupcake papers and bake until a toothpick comes out clean, checking after about 8 minutes.

Dust with powdered sugar or frost and decorate as desired.  Devour without guilt because you deserve cupcakes after this year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment