Friday, October 22, 2010

Chocolate Biscotti.


Ahh, it's Friday.  Normally this means nothing to me as I don't work a regular 9 to 5, Monday through Friday job.  But I had a big cupcake order today for a wedding and it's done.  Over with.  Not only did these cupcakes have to be vegan, the bride also wanted some gluten free and she turned out to be a complete nightmare to work with.  More on this story another time.  For now, I'm done.

And I have my favorite chocolate biscotti recipe to share.  It might seem like all I eat are biscotti but they keep forever and they always make a ton of cookies, so they are the baked good I probably make the most.  These are actually very low calorie which is why I tried out the recipe in the first place back in the summertime.  Sometimes I'm all about additions - dried fruit, toasted nuts, extracts.  But this recipe is just straightforward chocolate biscotti.  I add in the mini chocolate chips as called for in the original recipe but feel free to leave them out if you want or if you just don't have them on hand.  And it goes without saying you can ADD anything you wish as well, have fun :)


Chocolate Biscotti
Adapted from Cooking Light
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 large egg white
1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.  In a smaller bowl combine the vanilla, eggs, and egg white.  Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just mixed together, then add in the chocolate chips.

Divide the dough in half.  This is a very sticky dough so I like to wet my hands to make it easier to shape.  Make the halves into 12-inch long logs by 1/2-inch tall.  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the logs are firm.  Let cool for at least an hour before slicing into 1/2-inch slices.  Arrange the slices back on the baking sheets and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes.  The cookies will crisp up as they cool.  Store in an airtight container and enjoy with coffee, tea, milk or chocolate milk :)

No comments:

Post a Comment