Monday, February 25, 2008

Variation on a Butter Cake.

Butter Cake with Raspberry Jam.

So it's Saturday night and I forgot that tomorrow is Sunday.

I quickly search through a few cookbooks, come up with nothing exciting in particular unfortunately. (Laura I know you had your heart set on cinnamon crumb muffins, but I've been doing too many crumb things lately.) Then I see by my place at the dinner table the new issue of Gourmet Magazine! I flip to the last page to see what The Last Touch is (weird, I know but this is what I do when I get a new Gourmet in the mail), and I see this recipe called "Butter Cake." How perfect! It looks simple, easy and delicious.

I decided since it was for brunch to add some raspberry jam in the middle, which was a nice touch, but I think this cake would be perfectly lovely just on its own.

Butter Cake recipe adapted from Gourmet Magazine

1 3/4 cups AP flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 whole large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup whole milk

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch round cake pan (I used a springform pan for easier serving).

Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and egg yolk and mix for another 30 seconds, until combined. Then add the zest and extract. Then alternately add in the flour mixture and the milk, beginning and ending with the flour.

Pour this into the cake pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes (obviously I divided the batter in half slightly at this point, spreading about 1/4 cup of raspberry jam in the middle) or until it's golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let cool on wire rack completely and then dust with icing sugar, if desired. Cut into wedges and serve.

Butter Cake with Raspberry Jam.

1 comment: